Search This Blog

Saturday 16 November 2013

The Counsellor

The Counsellor directed by Ridley Scott stars Michael Fassbender as a counsellor who gets involved with a drug deal that goes wrong.

This is perhaps the most disappointing film if the year. When I first saw at the cast list of Michael Fassbender, Havier Bardem, Cameron Diaz, Penolope Cruz & Brad Pitt all directed by Ridley Scott, I anticipated this would be a very good movie. I was wrong.

From the opening, completely unneeded, sex sequence in the title credits I was immediately picking holes, Diaz then appears wearing far to much make up that makes her look totally ridiculous.

The narrative storyline is incredibly confusing, it initially jumps from scene to scene with no sense that each relates to the previous one. At various points I was lost, which means I switched off due to not understanding, until later when some little aside suddenly explains what's happening, at points my brain just decided it had had enough.  Characters (there are a lot of them) come and go extremely quickly with no names and introduction, or any sense of who they are and who they work for. There are also several scenes that are completely meaningless and add nothing to the story. A lot of the story is telegraphed very early, the description, about 5 minutes in, of a method of killing someone is so obviously setting you up for seeing it in action later on.

Don't get me started on the Cameron Diaz car scene, which is totally vacuous, ridiculous, completely unnecessary and sums up what is wrong with this film.

There is a lot of explanation of motives and characterisation in some very long conversations that just bored me to tears, then all of a sudden right at the end of one such conversation (involving another new character) the film ends.

For a piece of film making I would give this 4/10 but I am going to take marks off because With this Director and this cast list I expected so much more. 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment