Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Saving Mr Banks

Saving Mr Banks stars Emma Thompson as Mrs P L Travers the writer of Mary Poppins, and tells the story of her reluctance to sell the film rights to Walt Disney, played by Tom Hanks.

I really enjoyed this film, and particularly the performance of Emma Thompson, although this is not ostensibly a comedy Her comedic timing throughout is brilliant and had the cinema laughing out loud on several occasions.

Mrs Travers reluctance to let go of Mary Poppins and to put as many obstacles in the way is playing excellently, so much so, that I believe Emma Thompson should get an Oscar nomination, although perhaps she won't won it because Cate Blanchett has that already in the bag.

Hanks for his part is a very understated performance as Walt Disney, and seems happy to play second fiddle to Thompson, but his performance shows once more what a fine and versatile actor he is.

The story is well told, I particularly enjoyed the flashback style, telling her childhood story and a lot of the motivation behind Mary Poppins, I'm not sure if this is based on the real story of Pamela Travers or how much of it is fiction/dramatic licence, but either way ir is a very compelling watch.

I went into this film not really knowing what to expect from it, I didn't expect much if I'm honest, but it surprised me, in terms of story telling it is possibly one of the best films of the year 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment