Search This Blog

Friday 2 January 2015

2014 in Review

At the start of the 2014, I had hoped to see 120 Films (10 a month) and work out a saving of £1000 with my cineworld unlimited card (120 films at £10 = £1200 less £200 cost of the card) as It turned out I didn't quite hit these targets managing 97 movies and a saving of around £750

Many of my highlights of the Year were the January round of Oscar releases, which technically are 2013 films, The Outstanding 12 Years a slave, The Wolf of Wall Street and Dallas Buyers Club were some of the best movies I saw in 2014.

The most surprising film of the year for me was the March Release of Divergent, the latest Young Adult dystopian Fiction to be dramatized for the big screen. I enjoyed Divergent so much, not only did I borrow the Books from the Library I also bought it on DVD, which for me is a rare thing.

The Best film of the summer was definitely Marvels Guardians of the Galaxy, which was a whole lot of fun and made a light hearted change from the usual run of superhero movies.

My Film of the year though was Pride, as I said on this blog at the time, it is a very rare film tat can take you from the edge of tears one minute to tears of Laughter the next. This was by far and away the best film of 2014.

At the other end of the spectrum my worst films of the year are ones that others seemed enjoyed. I thought The Muppets Most Wanted went to far in its characterisations of Russians/French/Irish and was actually offensive, I also thought that Spike Jonze's Her, whilst a brilliant idea, took its central relationship one step to far and then became just utterly ridiculous.

Worst Film of the year though for me, was definitely Dumb and Dumber To, As a fan of the original it seems like all they have done is recycled the same jokes, but 20 years out of date. It is the one film I walked out of, because I couldn't take any more.



No comments:

Post a Comment