Search This Blog

Monday 10 September 2012

Dredd

Annoyingly there does not seem to be a 2D version of Dredd, which meant I had to pay the extra, wear the glasses, and endure the resultant headache. I really don't like 3D for live action films, I think its great for animation when you can have some fun with it, but for something like this I don't think it really adds anything. and as my blind in one eye friend pointed out, "I see everything in 2D anyway, so why should I have to pay the extra for 3D that I can't enjoy"

The film itself is a little bit to violent for my liking, Lots of blood and guts, and as one of the plot devices in the movie is a drug called "slow mo" which slows down your perception of time, there are lots of scenes of Blood and Guts in slow motion, which just adds to the gore factor.

Karl Urban's performance is not that great with the inevitable comparisons to Stallone, The plot is full of holes (like how they survive a hail of machine gun fire that wipes out half the building without taking a single hit) and although its only 90 minutes long, it felt much longer. I generally judge my boredom factor by how long it take me to look at my watch to see how long is left, in this case it was 20 minutes.

Certainly not the best movie of the year, or the month, not even the best movie of this weekend  and certainly not worth paying the extra for 3D 5/10

1 comment: