Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 March 2013

Trance

I was really looking forward to watching Trance, ever since I saw the trailer and then heard that Cineworld were doing a preview, I have to admit I really like Danny Boyle, I guess post olympics he is a bit of a national treasure, but also his recent films Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours are both a superb watch.


Trance is a very good film, and an enjoyable watch, but you need to stick through to the end to really appreciate it in its entirity, about half way through I thought I knew what was going on, I was wrong! the whole thing is quite mind bending in that once you get into the hypnotism section, certain elements are not actually real and are the subject of hypnosis. however the end "reveal" shows how deep that actually goes. (I won't ruin it for you)

My Issue with Trance is the use of nudity, there are several sex scenes, and scenes where people are nude, that are shot so that you don't see anything, (IE head shots and above the waist shots for the men) Then all of a sudden there is a plot device which involves Elizabeth Lamb (Rosario Dawson) shaving off her pubic hair, she goes into the bathrom, you hear the electric razor, but then she steps out of the bathroom full frontal, and to emphasise the point you get a nice close up of her (freshly shaven) vagina.

Now don't get me wrong here, I am a red bloodied male afterall, but a) I wasn't expecting it, b) if you are going to show that, why be so careful for the rest of the movie and c) how on earth can the BBFC justify giving it a 15 certificate?

Unfortunately I came out of the cinema thinking more about BBFC classifications that I did about the film, which is a shame, because had this been an 18, I probably would have enjoyed it more without being distracted by the certificate.  7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment