Search This Blog

Thursday 5 December 2013

2013 My Year of Film

I know its not the end of the year yet, but as I have just hit the 100 film mark this year, I figured now is as good a time to look at the highs and lows of the year.

Of the 100 Biggest grossing films of 2013

When looking at best and worst, I really struggled to pick one film over others, so here are my top 10 and worst 10 films of the year, in alphabetical order, to avoid any sense of preference. I have tried to pick films from all months of the year, and not just those most recent.

Top 10

Behind the Candelabra
Captain Phillips
Gravity
Hitchcock
Man of Steel
Rush
Saving Mr Banks
The Croods
The Heat
Wreck it Ralph

Even in narrowing it down to 10 I had great difficulty and there are some extremely good films that have not made this list.

Worst 10

A Good day to Die Hard
A Haunted House
Epic
Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters
I Give it a Year
Identity Thief
Playing For Keeps
Riddick
The Counsellor
This is the End

Acting Performances of Note in 2013 include Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine, who has still got to be favorite for an Oscar, and Emma Thompson in Saving Mr Banks. For the Men, Tom Hanks as Captain Phillips, and Michael Douglas as Liberace in Behind the Candelabra

For Animation, I have been singing the praises of Wreck it Ralph and The Croods all year, and find it difficult to split the two as both are superb.

Most Surprising Film of 2013: The Place Beyond the Pines

Biggest Disappointment: The Counsellor


And so on to 2014 and a some good films in the Horizon

12 Years a Slave
Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
Robocop
Noah

Plus lots of franchise movies already on the release schedule for later in the year

Fast & Furious 7
Amazing Spiderman 2
X-Men Days of Future Past
Captain America The Winter Soldier
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Hunger Games: Mocking Jay Part 1
The Hobbit: There and Back Again

No comments:

Post a Comment