Search This Blog

Monday 11 February 2013

I Give it a Year

Having seen the trailer for I give it a year, it struck me that it is the sort of film where the funniest jokes are in the trailer, and the trailer is not particularly funny. I guess having gone into see this film with that attitude, that is exactly what I got out of it.

For me in order for a comedy film to be funny, then there has to be an element of realism about it. For instance, the Stephen Merchant Character in this film is so over the top in his inappropriateness, that actually I don't know anyone like that, and it ceases to be funny, and starts to be cringeworthy.

In the same way, the whole marriage counsellor bit, there is no way that would ever appen in real life, it is so far removed from any sense of reality that it just is not funny.

Having said that, there are some genuine laughs in this movie, especially the digital photo frame scene, precisely because I'm sure there are people out there who that has happened to, it is the sort of oke that you can relate to and therefore is absolutely hilarious.

All in all though, I didn't really enjoy this film, so many of the jokes are unrealistic and so far over the top that my reaction was one of cringing rahter than laughing. I'm sure there are people out there who will find this very funny. If you enjoyed the five year engagement last year, then this is for you, its just not for me 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment