Search This Blog

Saturday 8 February 2014

Robocop

I went into Robocop with a little trepidation, I am a big fan of the original 1987 film, and didn't think it needed a remake, having read Peter Bradshaw's 1 star review in the Guardian I was concerned that this would make a dogs breakfast of what was a perfectly good movie, however I was pleasantly surprised, and don't agree with Peter's assessment of it.

Is it as good as the original? No, but it is much better than I feared.

This is perhaps a bit more of an action movie than the original, however a lot of the satirical undertone remains, particularly in the opening, pretitle sequence and the performance of Samuel L Jackson as Pat Novak a TV presenter with an agenda.

The action is very well shot, and looks great, although at one point I did feel a little queesy with the amount of shoulder cam footage and lateral movement of the camera.

Did it need a remake? I'm still not convinced, but whilst this is not a patch on the original, it is a 12A and will introduce a new generation to a wonderful movie 7/10

1 comment: