Search This Blog

Friday 3 October 2014

Length of Films - When is a Film to Long?

I watched Boyhood Yesterday, I shall post up a review a bit later, but at nearly 3 hours long, It got me thinking about film Length. All to often on this blog I find myself using the phrase "It is a bit to long" or "It felt a bit to long" What do I actually mean by this? Is 3 hours always to long? Is it just my attention span?

Well, Generally when I use this phrase, what I actually mean is "I was bored" where the film goes off and does something superfluous that really dosen't need to be there. Perhaps it is supposed to be an action film, such as the Recent Liam Neeson film A walk Among The Tombstones, where he spends half the movie in an Alcoholics Anonymous Meeting proving that he is definitely an alcoholic, We got the point the first time!

There are examples of quite lengthy films that did not "feel" too long, The Wolf of Wall Street is a prime example of a 3 hour film that, in my opinion, needs to be that long in order to fit everything in, so my comment regarding length is not a criticque of the running time of a movie, but more about how it uses that running time, and whether I think a movie could be improved by cutting certain sequences in order to a) reduce its length, but more importantly b) keep the movie flowing and reduce my boredom.

No comments:

Post a Comment