Search This Blog

Thursday 9 May 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness

Ever since I saw the first trailer for Star Trek into Darkness I have been looking forward to this one. So much so that I went to the midnight screening last night. I was hoping to come away from it praising J J Abrams on his fine work, but actually find that I can't

If you have seen the trailers, you will know that the film opens with a superb cliff hanger where half the senior staff of Star Fleet are wiped out by a terrorist, and Kirk and the enterprise are sent after him, at this point however the film falls apart, without going into lots of detail and posting lots of spoilers, what follows plot wise will upset a lot of fans of the original Star Trek Movies. In an attempt to pay homage to the original movies, the screenwriter has just gone way to far, and almost ruined it. I really want to explain, but can't without posting major spoilers and ruining the plot for those of you who have not seen it.

I did have a couple of other niggles, particularly in the London sequence at the start, by the time of world and intergalactic government I'm pretty sure the Union Jack will not be flying from buildings, and also a sequence later on in the film where the laws of physics are basically ignored.

On the plus side, Benedict Cumberbatch is superb as John Harrison, as Villains go, its probably the best performance since Javier Bardem in Skyfall.

If you have never seen the Original Movies and your knowledge of Star Trek starts with the 2009 movie, then I'm sure you will enjoy this immensely, The acting is good and the action comes thick and fast, but for any true Star Trek fans the storyline will just annoy you, which is a shame because this really could have been a great movie 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment