Search This Blog

Monday 25 February 2013

This is 40

In my review of I give it a year I had a bit of a rant about jokes being relevant to real life and not being so over the top that they don't work, well in that sense This is 40 is a breath of fresh air. The Jokes come thick and fast and most of them work, especially if you have kids, or have turned 40 (Which I haven't)

With a lot of the comedies so far in 2013 leaving me feeling quite flat, this is the most I have laughed in the Cinema since Ted in July last year.

Having said that, this film is not without its faults. I have often criticised films on this blog for their use of language were it is not necessary, and whilst I understand the need to use the language in a film of this context, I just felt there was a bit to much of it. the expletives come thick and fast in every scene, and when a movies does that it loses its impact to shock.

However my main problem with this film is the complete lack of any narrative ark, The jokes come thick and fast, but one does not relate to the previous one, and you could almost put the scenes together in any order. this is essentially just a series of very funny scenes one after the other with no sense of a story going anywhere until about the last half an hour. At one point I found myself wondering just how much longer the film would last.

On the whole though, if you just want to go to the cinema for something to make you laugh, then this is definitely for you, just don't expect the plot to make any sense 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment