Search This Blog

Monday 28 January 2013

Zero Dark Thirty

With two of the films up for the best picture oscar out this weekend, I was anticipating a great weekend of film, however I was left a little disappointed

My Major Issue with ZDT is the complete lack of Character development, we know next to nothing about Maya, she has absolutely no back story, which make it hard for the viewer to empathise with the character, or want her to do well, the complete lack of emotional attachment means you are left not really caring when characters are killed. Also Characters seem to come and go so quickly, that at certain points I lost track of who was who.

My other minor beef is the use of the Acronym UBL when referring to Bin Laden (The last time I checked his name was Osama, Surely it should be OBL?) maybe that's the acronym the CIA/US Military used for him, in which case apologies to Kathryn Biggelow if the movie is being accurate and the Americans can't spell!

There has been a lot of media talk about this film glorifying torture, which I think is unwarranted, the scenes showing torture do not neccesarilly show it to be effective, and it gets indifferrent results.

All in all I really didn't get much out of this movie, others may enjoy it, but I didn't. it may not be the worst film of the year, but quite how it is up for best picture is quite frankly beyond me. 5/10





1 comment: