Search This Blog

Monday 21 January 2013

DVD review: Offender

As my Local Cineworld only has 5 screens and can't therefore show all movies, I have a lovefilm subscription to catch up on some of the movies I missed.

Having spent a bit of time in Prison myself sometime ago when offender came out in the cinema I thought this might be interesting watch, however I was unable to find a local screening. So DVD in hand I turned down the Sunday Night screening of Django Unchained and sat down to catch up with Offender.

The Basic Premise and story line is that Tommy has got himself put in a young offender institute in order to exact revenge against the gang who attacked his girlfriend during the London Riots, causing her to lose their child, and as a result it ended their relationship. However there are many other sub plots along the way, from a look at the riots, to prison violence and corruption, and Justice and redemption.  which makes this a very good watch, In fact I think you would probably need to watch it a couple of times in order to pick out all the little subtleties.

I guess my major problem with it is the portrayal of the prison, I know this is a movie, and therefore some dramatic licence is required, and the truth can be altered to make the film work, but it bears absolutely no basis to the realities of life inside. For instance a stupid example, there is a scene in the visiting hall, whereby Tommy and Jake, two of the three main characters in the particular scene do not appear to have a visitor, if thats the case they simply would not be there.

This is a very good watch, just don't rely on it for your view of life in prison 8/10





1 comment: