Search This Blog

Wednesday 2 January 2013

Quartet

My First movie of 2013 was Quartet, with names like Maggie Smith and Michael Gambon on the cast list I thought this might be a decent start to 2013, but was left somewhat bemused.

I was not expecting quite the amount of bad language, Billy Connelly may get away with it, because he is Billy Connelly, but Watching Maggie Smith Swearing feels a bit like watching your grandmother swearing.

The Story itself take a long time to get going, and this is a relatively short film, by the last 20 minutes I was emotionally involved, but for the first hour it labours quite a lot.

Also I am not sure that the film knows what it is trying to be, if it is a Rom Com then it is extremely short of jokes, and if it is meant to be a serious piece then it, fails at that too, its somewhere in between the two which makes it a bit flat.

I have seen a lot of TV adverts for films coming out in the first couple of weeks of Janaury claiming to be the "film of the year" how they can make that claim so early on is beyond me, but this one definitely won't be in my top 10 come the end of 2013. I think its safe to say that this is not Maggie Smith's finest film.  5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment