Search This Blog

Monday 25 February 2013

Cinema Schedulers Decision Making

I understand that my local Cineworld only has 5 screens and therefore cannot possibly show every film that is released, however the decisions made recently by Cineworld over what to show have left me slightly baffled.

I am not an expert on audience demand, so maybe I don't know what I am talking about, but with the amount of media coverage that Song for Marion has got recently, I would have thought there would be a bigger demand to see that, than a horror movie (Mama)

Also decisions not to show new movies, and leave older movies playing instead, I appreciate that not everyone is like me and goes to see a film on its first week of release, and that there will still be a demand for blockbusters like Skyfall or Les Miserable several weeks after release, but surely you would sell more tickets for a film like the Impossible on its release week, than you would for Skyfall when it has already been in the cinema for over 2 months.

I am not an expert, so maybe I don't know what I am talking about, maybe I'm just having this rant because there there have been several movies that I have missed lately due to them not being available on my Unlimited card in my Local Cineworld.

I am assuming that on Friday with both Save haven and Broken City coming out, that one of them will lose out, so I am hoping to plan a trip to the bigger cinema in Chichester next week, to catch up with Song for Marion, Cloud Atlas and whichever of the afforementioned is not shown in Southampton. I will, as ever, keep you posted.


Edit: It seems I was wrong, Mama took more in the weekend box office than Song for Marion, so maybe Cineworld do know their job better than I do. it also seems that Cineworld Southampton have managed to find space for all 3 of Safe Haven, Broken City and Hansel & Gretel for next week, so looks like a bumper weekend of movie viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment